The Lachine Canal crosses the south-west of Montreal. Opened in 1824 it was expanded twice.
Today, the Canal is getting better every day. Abandoned factories near its banks are slowly transformed into luxury condominiums; navigation has been reopened after being closed for nearly 20 years. Under federal jurisdiction, this water trench with several locks is used to override the Lachine Rapids on a level change of several metres. The linear park with his bicycle trail along the water has given access to the Canal back to Montreal families.
The canal ad became the industrial heartland of Canada in the first wave of industrialization around 1880. Truly the center of Montreal production, these huge factories took their workforce in boroughs like Pointe St.Charles, Cote Saint-Paul, Lachine and St. Henri.
The opening of the St. Lawrence Maritime way made the Lachine Canal useless in 1959.
23 Pictures for this exhibition
1314 Olier Street / Rue Gallery
7.51 /10 : 109 votes
|Le Canal Griffintown II|
50 des Seigneurs Street / Rue Bassin
7.1 /10 : 41 votes
|Myst sur le Canal|
Borough Pointe Saint-Charles
8.28 /10 : 60 votes
|Bassins du Havre|
1548 Bassin Street
6.76 /10 : 38 votes
|Condos Bassins Du Havre II|
7.71 /10 : 58 votes
|Pointe-des-Seigneurs Archaeological Park |
Rue des Seigneurs
1 /10 : 1 votes
Borough Saint-Henri / Petite-Bourgogne
7 /10 : 1 votes
|Thematic areas and neighborhoods|
| Squares and Parks|
Epoch / Period